Tuesday, February 16

Another "First" on Dominica


Living in Dominica is truly a learning experience.
Just when I think I'm getting the hang of it here, something else new (for us anyway) appears.
Friday morning about 7am, we got a call from our friend in Mahaut (Ma Ho) sounding a bit frantic. He asked if we were OK and said there was a volcano eruption on Montserrat and there was ash covering everything.
We went outside and saw a dusting of white ash everywhere. We don't have glass panes in our windows so we also had ash everywhere in the house.
What a mess.
I went down to the school for a reading class and found out they were closing early because of all the dust .It's a health hazard. Hmm. I was thinking they were being silly but later that afternoon I felt the effects of breathing that in.
It hasn't rained here for a couple weeks and boy we needed it now more than ever.
On Saturday we did a major cleanup at the house but since it's so dry and breezy it just came back.
I told my husband not to worry.
It's Carnival time and it always rains during 'The Real Mas"
And ya know what? It is Carnival time and it did rain yesterday and a bit last night. So wonderful and refreshing!
The best part is that our trees and flowers had a much needed rain bath. Back to beautiful green.
We are all breathing easier now.



No comments: