Thursday, December 20

Things can take time.... patience





It's Christmas season and the hibiscus is in full bloom. They come in all sorts of color but red is my favorite. What a beautiful, delicate flower.


Christmas season for us the last 3 years is re-applying for our residency. Not an easy task.


First, we go to Castle Bruce and get a police report, drive to town (an hour's drive one way through mountains and rainforest) to the Police in Roseau and submit the report from Castle Bruce , have 2 passport photos, two $50.00 stamps(grr we forgot that and had to go all the way back to the post office on the other side of town) and wait for our Certificate of Character. Go to Ministry of Immigration to get the application for residency. One person is in charge of passing out the blank form and she's at lunch, don't know when she'll be back. Screw it. Go home, come back 2 days later get the application do some shopping and go back home. Come back 2 days later with our cover letter, bank statements reference letter, another passport photo, stop by police station and pick up our certificate (they were both there! Last year they lost Mr. B's) go to the treasury dept. pay the application fee of EC $500 each go back to Immigration and turn everything in and now wait and hopefully it goes through by Jan. 3rd so we don't have to get an extension. A very long process. Two more years of that and then we can apply for permanent residency. Think we'll make it?

4 comments:

La Gringa said...

What a process! That sounds like the first go-round in Honduras, but after that the annual renewals are, relatively speaking, a breeze. I should bite my tongue for saying that because if anyone in the government hears they will undoubtedly add 6 more steps to the process.

I found your blog through Jen's Living Dominica and read the whole thing. Thanks, I enjoyed it.

living the good life said...

well everything is submitted went to pick the permit up.... not ready yet. You should have bit your tongue. lol
Glad you enjoyed the blog. I'll b ereading yours

Unknown said...

You can get permanent residency after 3 years in Dominica. I know I did!

living the good life said...

s,you must be very special or pretty lucky. I asked at Immigration about the 3 year. Some things are so vague here and there are several answers to one question. I know we could have gotten permanent residency the first year for a mere US$50,000. ugh